本文へジャンプ
Fukuoka City
Change Font Size
SmallStandardLarge
Text to speech
LastUpDate: November 13, 2014
ここから本文

Hakata Culture vol.93


Najima: From Castle Town to Lindbergh Landing Place

Najima: From Castle Town to Lindbergh Landing Place image 

In Najima, in Higashi Ward, lies the ruins of a castle of the same name.  It was the first place Nagamasa Kuroda called home after moving from Nakatsu in Buzen (now western Oita Prefecture) to Chikuzen, a portion of which he was enfeoffed for his role in the Battle of Sekigahara. Najima Castle's location on a small peninsula was not only inconvenient, it made the development of a castle town difficult, so Nagamasa decided to move his base of operations to a more spacious site. Najima Castle was abandoned in 1602.


The ocean near where the castle once stood has since been reclaimed and converted into an urban area. Part of the castle site has been turned into a park, but almost no original structures remain because the materials were used to help build Fukuoka Castle. Najima Castle's Najima-mon gate and Kara-mon gate were purportedly relocated to Fukuoka Castle and Sofukuji Temple, the family temple of the Kuroda Clan, respectively.


Najima Castle was originally built by a late 16th century feudal lord named Akitoshi Tachibana. After Hideyoshi Toyotomi's successful conquest of Kyushu, he awarded Chikuzen Province to his retainer Takakage Kobayakawa, who took up residence in Najima Castle. Although it proved inadequate for peacetime expansion, Najima's strategic seaside location was valued during the Warring States Period.


Centuries later, in 1930, the Najima Seaplane Base was opened not far from the site of the old castle. It connected Fukuoka by air to other Japanese cities as well as to the Korean Peninsula and Taiwan. On September 17, 1931, Charles Lindbergh and his wife Anne landed their Sirius seaplane at Najima during a Pacific survey flight for Pan American Airways. Not long after, however, the seaplane base closed as land-based airfields became mainstream. The site of the seaplane base, long since backfilled, is now a residential neighborhood, but a stone monument and a street called Lindbergh-dori serve as reminders of the historic visit.



Hakata Culture also appears in

To FUKUOKA NOW Website

(c)  www.fukuoka-now.com All Right Reserved







歴史ある名島城跡とリンドバーグ

 名島城は現在の福岡市東区名島にあった城です。慶長5年(1600年)、関ヶ原の戦いで貢献を認められ、豊前国中津から筑前国に移った黒田長政が最初に入った城でもあります。当時の名島城は三方を海に囲まれていたことから、長政は交通の便が良く、城下町が整備できる広い土地に拠点を移すことにします。これに伴い、名島城は慶長7年(1602年)に廃城となりました。

 現在では名島城跡の周辺は埋め立てられ、多くは市街地となっています。一部が公園として整備されていますが、建物や石垣などの遺構はほとんど残っていません。資材のほとんどを新しく築城する福岡城のために使ったからだとされます。福岡城跡には名島城から移築したとされる「名島門」が残り、黒田家菩提寺である崇福寺の唐門も名島城から移設したものとされます。

 もともと名島城は、16世紀の半ばに戦国大名の立花鑑載(たちばなあきとし)が築いた城です。その後、九州を平定した豊臣秀吉が筑前国を小早川隆景(こばやかわたかかげ)に与え、小早川氏は海に近く、水軍の本拠地として利用できる名島城を居城としました。海に囲まれた立地は平和な時代には不向きでも、戦国時代には重要視されたのです。

 一時期、名島城跡のすぐ近くに水上機専用の「名島水上飛行場」がありました。1930年に開港し、国内だけでなく中国、朝鮮、台湾などにも航路のある国際空港でした。1931年9月17日には、北太平洋航路調査旅行中のリンドバーグ夫妻が水上機「シリウス号」で来訪しています。けれども陸上飛行機が普及するにつれて役目を終えて閉鎖されます。飛行場跡は埋め立てられて住宅地になっていますが、記念碑と「リンドバーグ通り」という名前が残っています。